D.10 RPM Experiments

8 frames

13 frames

39 frames

42 frames

40 frames

24 frames

Advertisements

D.09 Tinkering and Circuit Refinement

To start with, I had a circuit which was powered by the 5v supplied by the Arduino. Rearranging the circuit, I chose to dismantle an LED torch to utilise 3 of its components (the cell casing which held 3 x 1.5v batteries, the switch and the LED) creating a larger circuit, that had it own light, and was is completely battery powered.

Splitting the voltage between two compnents, I was concerned that neither would have enough power to work correctly. When I initially set up the circuit, I decided to use a resistor with the LED because I didn’t know if it was going to be safe without one. Upon testing, I realised that the LED was not working at full brightness but the motor was at full speed. This indicated to me that the resistor I put in was unnecessary, and was further proven by my discovery of an existing resistor at the switch.

When the motor first powers up, the light does dim for a split second. I believe this will be due to the initial acceleration from rest and the extra power that the motor requires to do this. That aside, the circuit works well and I am ready to implement this with the rest of my mechanism.

D.08 Motor Testing

I have 3 DC Motor of different sizes to test and decide which will be the most appropriate for my project.

The circuit I have wired them up to contains an Ardunio (used for its 5V power supply) and potentiometer (used to control the flow of voltage) and the motor being tested. In my final circuit, I will used a 9V battery instead of the Arduino, the potentiometer will be locked to a certain level and replaced by a switch, and a lamp will also be connected to the circuit since, as I discovered in the previous post, a bright light will help the effect.


Testing

Motor A

Size: Small
RPM: Unknown
Grip: Poor (Something will need to be welded to the end to allow the motor to be incorporated into a mechanism)
Test video:
[]

Motor B


Findings

Firstly, the Motor C struggled to get going with only 5V of power, but I believe that using a 9V battery will assist this.

Secondly, I noticed that potentiometer only had control over the motors at the very end of its turn, making it behave more like a switch than anything else. Although I was able to slow Motor A down slightly with very small turning increments towards the end, I do believe that the RPM is still too great on this motor.

Despite this, Motor B is likely to perform the best for this experiment. Before welding my circuit together, however, I would like to try all 3 motors once more, but with the illusion pattern taped to the top. This will help me to gauge how fast a rotation is required to make the illusion work.

 

D.02 Token Design

Issue: My designs are not very original, lack function and purpose.

Action: Spoke to Rob walmslyeey

Feedback:

  • Look at coins, there are many designs. All are functional and communicative and all are constrained by the shape of the coin.
  • Look at the new 1 pound coin, consider other shapes than a circle and widen your focus past the tokens that first inspired you http://i3.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article11973402.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS59376469.jpg
  • Think about the potential this has as a takeaway item, It would be wise to include your contact information in or with the item,
    • Pocket
    • Print
    • Hidden print (revealed when held up to the light)
    • Rotational reveal

 

A.13/D.01 Tactile Takeaway

Originally, when thinking of what people could take away from their experience with AdHac, I envisioned that people would be able to share their video outputs on social media. Since then, this idea has turned stale in my mind, I highly doubt that interest will be high enough to stir members of the public to post these and I doubt further that their peers/followers will find it interesting.

Instead I would really like the user to be able to take away a physical version of the icon medal that the person ‘wins’ by playing the AdHac. Since the medals are physical, I think they should be dispensed automatically. I’ll need to build a physical dispenser that responds to an output from the programme. This will have to work by some sort of sensor that reacts to what is on the screen, or a print out that can be used as a key for the dispenser.

printermockup


I’d like to make the medals out of acrylic, inspired by these game tokens I was given.

img_2653

A while ago I recall talking to a student who designed and built his own game. He also produced these acrylic tokens as take-home branding to support it. They weren’t used as part of the game, in fact they were essentially glorified business cards. Clearly they have a better longevity than their paper counter parts, since I still have them years later.

To make dispensing easier, it’d be wise to design all the medals to have the same outward shape and size, without any extruding parts. In terms of each individual icon design, I’m looking back to my mind map of association from Content Sharing. Since those icons were the first to spring to mind when I created the categories. I want to keep the icons pretty straight forward so that I can focus of physical production and animated assets.

medal-design