D.09 Tinkering and Circuit Refinement

To start with, I had a circuit which was powered by the 5v supplied by the Arduino. Rearranging the circuit, I chose to dismantle an LED torch to utilise 3 of its components (the cell casing which held 3 x 1.5v batteries, the switch and the LED) creating a larger circuit, that had it own light, and was is completely battery powered.

Splitting the voltage between two compnents, I was concerned that neither would have enough power to work correctly. When I initially set up the circuit, I decided to use a resistor with the LED because I didn’t know if it was going to be safe without one. Upon testing, I realised that the LED was not working at full brightness but the motor was at full speed. This indicated to me that the resistor I put in was unnecessary, and was further proven by my discovery of an existing resistor at the switch.

When the motor first powers up, the light does dim for a split second. I believe this will be due to the initial acceleration from rest and the extra power that the motor requires to do this. That aside, the circuit works well and I am ready to implement this with the rest of my mechanism.

Advertisements

Author: Pip Williamson

Pip // Animator & Motion Designer

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s